Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Change in the Game Plan..

Well, I did the run speed workout today. It just wasn't the speed workout I was going to do. I couldn't breathe, I was tired, no days off since the race, etc...My ex-coach Mark Mico, when I mentioned I wanted to do BSLT this year but aren't exactly trained for a half, he suggested I do the run one min run, one minute walk. So I tried this today and ended up averaging 11/min miles. Not bad for me! Of course this is not after swimming a mile, then biking 56 in ridiculous heat..So I am right now giving myself permission to use this strategy. Hartley looked me right in the eye this morning and asked-"so WHY are you doing this??" Gosh i better be clear on that one because the Buffalo is nothing to f&*^&&k with! I did it 3 years ago, was in much better training shape, weighed 7 lbs less and still walked some of the run. So my goal could be to have fun?? Well, not sure that is possible in Lubbock unless they serve ice cream on the course and cut all the distances in half just cause they wanted to be nice this year :) OK so another goal could be to end the race feeling fairly good. Now this is a new concept for me. My daughter Becca says she remembers finishing a half marathon and actually feeling good! I thought she certainly did not get those genes from me, that is for sure! But I really have finished a couple of races this year feeling less than dead and ready to throw up. That is amazing to me. Now some may say I didn't run fast enough, or try hard enough but that wasn't it at all. I just wanted to feel NORMAL after a race. So can I do this in Lubbock? Well, stay tuned...

2 comments:

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

my goal for a race sometimes is to just do the thing. Just do it. Sometimes that's enough for me. 'cos in my agegroup, I'm pretty sure the only way I'd find myself on the podium is if everyone else mysteriously had flats on their bikes.

Podium quest said...

I've done that 1-1 minute thing before in long races. It actually worked very well. My overall time at that marathon was better than if I would of just ran the whole thing. It was also the least painfull marathon I'd ever done.