Monday, August 11, 2008

I believe..

Just when I thought the impossible could never be done in my little world of sports, I witnessed this last night while watching (and screaming at) the Olympics on TV:

With Phelps' quest for an unprecedented No. 8 about to fizzle practically before it started -- the 4x100 freestyle relay was his second final in a week that was busier than a Beijing rush hour -- Lezak tapped into something in himself that the world, and he, had never witnessed before. Swimming the anchor leg, Lezak, trailing by about a body length as they turned for the final 50 meters, ran down Alain Bernard, the world record holder, one of the Four Frenchmen of the Apocalypse, in the final 15 meters. He then out-touched Bernard at the wall by eight one-hundredths of a second, giving the Americans, and Phelps, the leadoff swimmer, the victory and the world record. In setting the new standard by nearly four seconds, Lezak swam 46.06, the fastest split in history by almost three-quarters of a second and faster than Bernard's by two-thirds of a second. In less than a minute, Lezak had alchemized a leaden career -- he didn't even qualify for the 100-meter final in Athens four years ago -- into pure gold.

"I just happened to have the swim of my life at the right time," Lezak said.

That last sentence gives me hope... The most exciting race-EVAR...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

heck yeah...it was awesome and so exciting! Jeff and I were watching and I said...he's gonna catch him...and Jeff said...no, it's too far, there's no way...and I said...yes he is, I can tell!!

That was truly amazing to watch.

LBTEPA said...

OMG wasn't that one of the best relays ever? I didn't even care who won but I was happy for Lezak, and Phelps, he is such a beautiful swimmer and seems a quite pleasant person too.

Susi said...

it was an awesome race!!! i loved it especially because the commentator stated it was likely lezak WOULDN'T be able to catch the french fellow. how awesome to see him pull ahead!!

absolutely brilliant!

Peggy said...

I was also thrilled to see that race. There is always hope! It shows us that God is the One who gives strength to do the impossible!

Unknown said...

I'm really happy for Lezak and the whole team. That was an amazing moment.