Monday, August 18, 2008

I can tell my motivation has changed..

Training for IMAZ

Yesterday:

H: Aren't you going to do the swim with me? (this is at 6:00 at night).

Me: Nah, I already ran over 10 miles today. I don't need it.

H: But that is what is on our IMAZ schedule for today! I want to do all the workouts.

Me: Yea I know but it is ok to miss one this far out.

H: I want to finish IMAZ-YOU made me this compulsive!!

Me: Bye honey..Have fun!

I am doing IMAZ to finish with my husband-that is it..H says I will get all competitive about my time as the event draws closer but I seriously doubt it!

Yesterday, I went for a run with some of my ultra fast running Outlaws. I feel incredibly intimidated by this bunch. I use to keep up with some of them on the bike, now not so much..Never been able to run as fast as some of these guys. Their idea of a long run is like 8 min. miles for 10 miles. SOoooo, we took off to do this run:

I decided 2 things:

1. I was going to keep my HR below 140.
2. I was going to have fun no matter what.

I succeeded in both. Although IronMisty was not havin' such a good time (her tell of it is hilarious), I managed to keep my spirits up as I walked up most of that hill. Then, I actually ran down the hill with one of the young guys, who told me at one point we were running 8.5 min. miles. Yep I was running that fast! For about 5 minutes! Then managed to keep running for my total 2 hr. 10 min run.

I really do want to get faster running. I am still training with the HR approach like Mark Allen, except I have bumped up my max aerobic HR a bit. Plus I think I need speed work on the run.

Speaking of running, as a result of my little jaunt yesterday (probably the downhill part), my quads are killing me today! Which means in my book, it is good for me. How did I ever come to this kind of thinking?

Meanwhile. I have created a monster in my husband. He has joined the cult. He has become the obsessive compulsive Ironman nuts that he use to despise in me. Who would have thunk?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a super hard run you did - great job!!

Funny how we like being sore because it means we worked hard and it's good for us...good kind of sore :)

RBR said...

I hear you on the sore part. I did a trail run on Saturday and my quads are screamin'! Those downhills are killer on your quads.

Great job on your run!

You are such an animal! Ironman in June, 1/2 Ironman in July and another full Ironman in November. I think my body and brain would be jello!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Muhahaha. So, when does he complete his journey to the dark side (aka: starting a blog?)

momo said...

i just started doing speedwork a few weeks back and seriously, girl, it makes a difference. after i got over the fact that i was the slowest one there, it started to be fun. :-)

Bones said...

Yep, you have created a monster! Kudos to you for finishing up the run!

Susi said...

i'm now just waiting to see who uses the famous line 'you married it!' first... haha.

have a great day dr frankenstein! tee hee. mua ha haaaaaa.

Molly said...

Holy cow that is a huge climb! Great job!!!

LBTEPA said...

LOL sow the wind, reap the whirlwind! Good luck to you both :)

skoshi said...

Sounds like a great tri partnership. Often T and I are on the same page, but sometimes one of us is the motiviating factor for the other. And sometimes, it's just good to take a break and let the other do his (or her) thing!

Podium quest said...

It's great to see how suportive you are of H. I hope you get your motivation of
swimming back. But if you don't I've seen what a great swimmer you are As long
as you keep up the bikibg & running you'll do fine.

Vickie said...

It happens to the best of them! Good training!