Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sign of insanity?

Dr: How did you sprain your ankle?
Me: I was ..uh..running at night..um..with a group of people doing a running relay.

Dr: Why were you running at night now?

Me: It was a 24 hour race. You know running..

Dr: Hmmm....

Dr: (after looking at a previous MRI of my spine and neck) Now why is it you are still running? Do you have sciatica or back pain or both?

Me: Back pain mostly. I use A.R.T. to treat it..

Dr: What is ART?

Me: A chiropractic thing....

Dr: Well, I suppose it is keeping you healthy and all. I don't know how long you are going to be able to keep running with this spine..

Me: Well, I guess my days are numbered but I am training for an Ironman.

Dr: Shakes his head...and smiles...

Dr: (after looking at my ankle). Not a bad sprain. Posterior pain but no anterior pain. That is good..I will give you an air cast to wear..

Me: Can I run in it?

Dr. Well, until the pain is gone I wouldn't.

Me: Can I walk fast in it until then?

Dr: Sure...You should use the cast for 10 days or so..

I came home, took 600 mgs of Vitamin "I" (I know, I know..don't send me those articles please) and immediately went out and walked 5 miles...

Is this the sign of a crazy person??

9 comments:

Unknown said...

In this past week I've learned how much I lean on exercise to keep from going crazy...so i think it's the sign of an un-crazy person. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love it....Vitamin I? I gotta get me some of that so I can be more "un-crazy". Screw it...life hard...feel free..let 'em hang!!

Molly said...

Dedication :)

And a doctor who doesn't understand!

IronLa said...

Yes! Certifiably.
But we're all a little bit crazy, aren't we?

LBTEPA said...

yes :P
get well soon!

Fe-lady said...

You have a Dr. who doesn't know what A.R.T. is? yipes.

So I wouldn't listen to him either...

heal fully!

Terry E said...

Yep, you're crazy about being alive and that's a great thing!

Terry E said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Calyx Meredith said...

You might want to get yourself a doctor who runs! Hope the ankle sprain is better in no time.