Friday, July 18, 2008

Unexpected Road Block..

Momo's post came to mind when this happened (Beware of the Taper):

H fell on his bike on Wednesday. My friend Kathy and I heard a crunch behind us and commented, What was that? Where is Hartley? When I looked back, there was H, on the ground, just getting up. I wasn't worried until he started asking me where everyone was (we had turned around early from the group) and what was going on. When I asked him-where are we going tomorrow? and he had no idea, I thought Oh shit we were in trouble. Apparently he hit his head really hard (no crack in helmet) and has some nasty road rash on his hip. In a split second, we decided Kathy would stay with H and I would hightail it back the 8 miles or so to the car and come to pick them up. I then did my only speed workout for the month in that 8 miles, turning the damn Garmin off because my HR was off the charts. I got the car and headed back. I saw a Corrales police officer on the way to the car, giving a ticket to someone and mentioned my husband may have a head injury back there and could he check on him. He said in a very annoying voice: Well, I guess when I am done giving this ticket. Gee, officer, don't let me ruin your day with a bike accident! I was so pissed!! (he never showed up by the way-probably went to lunch the shape he was in). I made it back to H and Kathy just as they were riding to meet me. H seemed OK by then, remembered everything-took about 15 min for his head to clear. Kathy's ex was a neurosurgeon and me being an ex-nurse-a dangerous combination-so we had group worry that H had a head injury. I have been observing him now for 2 days and no symptoms so far of a cerebral bleed. He has a very sore hip and his "A" race in 2 days. We traveled from ABQ to Bakersfield yesterday. Now Bakersfield is famous in that this is where I was born 53 and 1/3 years ago. I really don't remember much-we moved when I was a baby but always felt like a California girl at heart. So here I sit in our ever so comfortable Hampton Inn room. We are on our way to Guerneville today, home of the Vineman 70.3. H has ice on his hip as we speak and we are praying he can run by Sunday. Everytime he gets up to walk, he says ohhh, man! Looks iffy at the moment..

So either we are both in terrible denial and H won't be able to run at all by race day or he will heal in the next 48 hours at least enough to complete Vineman. What a drag! H and I have been operating out of positive thinking about all of it. Go with the flow..he is in the best shape of his life and I feel his disappointment over this..

More later..

13 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

Oh no! What a nasty piece of bad luck. I will call you when Jenny and I get up there later today.

Benson said...

ouch.
good luck and best wishes for quick healing.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Yikes, that moment of fuzziness must have freaked you out. I would have probably panicked and fallen over myself instead of keeping a clear head, like you did. I hope he's feeling better!

Unknown said...

Yikes. Head injuries are scary. Besh wishes for his speedy recovery from the fall.

LBTEPA said...

Oh no!
How alarming! Best wishes for a fast recovery and a good race

Duane said...

Hope he heals fast! Bummer!!!!!

IronWaddler said...

You guys take care. How scary. Wish you good luck and fast healing.

Molly said...

Uh oh! Hope he's feeling better!!! I'm glad my crash came with enough time to recover for this race.

Glad you made it up to the area OK!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Oh. Poor thing. i hope he heels up quickly!!!

Anonymous said...

All the best to you both tomorrow - praying H and you are great!
Love ya, sis. ~linda

Calyx Meredith said...

That must have been so scary for all of you! I hope H's is better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh no...I read this from my phone and couldn't reply earlier...the head thing is so scary!

I'm glad he's feeling better in that respect, but hope the hip heals quickly, too :)

Susi said...

glad to read that H is doing better! i love that you both have kept a positive mindset about this - it's the best healer!